It is an honor to welcome the Chancellor of the American College of Financial Services Dr. Larry Barton to the show this week. Dr. Barton holds the O. Alfred Granum Chair in Management at the college and is an instructor at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia. Over the course of his career, Dr. Barton also served as Motorola’s Vice President of Crisis Management and the President of Herald College and DeVry University.
When Dr. Barton first became president in 2003, the college was in crisis. Utilizing his extensive experience, Dr. Barton restructured and honed the college’s focus in order to enhance its presence as a leader in financial education. Tune in to find out what changes Dr. Barton helped make that will ensure that American College will continue to thrive and what the future holds for the seasoned educational institution.
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- How the college was “running out of runway” when Dr. Barton became president in 2003.
- What structural and financial challenges Dr. Barton had to face and the hard decisions he had to make when he first became president.
- How an open, honest and transparent dialogue helped to facilitate and achieve the system-wide transformation that was required.
- Why benefits professionals need to go beyond an RHU or REBC designation to survive and to best serve their clients’ needs in a post-PPACA environment
- The programs The American College currently offers, including the new Masters and Doctorate programs.
- What the college plans for the future to remain relevant and reach their students in new and exciting ways.
Featured On The Show:
- The American College Website | tel. (610) 526-1000
- Crisis Leadership Now: A Real-World Guide to Preparing for Threats, Disaster, Sabotage, and Scandal by Laurence Barton (Hardcover)
- Crisis Leadership Now: A Real-World Guide to Preparing for Threats, Disaster, Sabotage, and Scandal by Laurence Barton (Kindle Eddition)
- Leadership is an Art by Max Depree