About a year ago on ShiftShapers, we talked about a subject that generated quite a bit of interest among our listeners – the field of direct pay primary care, or direct pay practices. On this episode, we’re honored to be speaking to one of the pioneers and disruptors in direct primary care (DPC), Samir Qamar, M.D. Samir is the founder and CEO of two companies, MedLion and MedWand.
In this first of our two-part interview, we asked Samir to talk about the ins and outs of the direct primary care model and share his unique journey into that field. We also talk about how the direct primary care pioneers were able to get the DPC inserted into the ACA and how DPC realigns incentives. We also explore how DPC might be a good fit for clients struggling with today’s increased personal responsibility amounts, and how they coordinate with and complement high deductible plans.
Next week, we will discuss a brand new device that Dr. Qamar is bringing to market – a mouse-sized piece of technology that has the potential to completely change patient’s interactions with their primary care providers. Don’t miss this first part of our primary care conversation and learn how you can integrate it into the solutions you offer to clients.
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- What direct primary care is all about.
- Samir’s unusual journey to DPC.
- How a key change in PPACA made a big difference.
- Whether DPC is an individual play, a group play, or both.
- Why insurance is unnecessary in primary care.
- How benefit advisors position this with clients and prospects.
Featured On The Show:
Listen To The Full Interview:
This Episode is Sponsored by:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes (here’s how)
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!