This week, we welcome Patrick Irving, Managing Director of Covala Group, to The ShiftShapers podcast to help us explore the overlooked opportunities available with disability income. With only 30% of Fortune 1000 companies (and fewer in other segments) providing coverage in this area, advisors willing to develop a DI expertise will be in a prime position to expand their practices while providing invaluable coverage for their clients – often at a discount!
This episode is packed with useful information for benefit advisors: Patrick clarifies some of the DI terminology that can often be confusing. He goes into detail about the taxation of DI benefits so advisors can better serve their clients while saving them money. He also tackles the classic chicken or the egg question regarding whether Group or Individual coverage is the best first option.
Advisors dealing with commission compression or looking for additional revenue streams will definitely want to leverage the opportunities available in DI coverage and you should begin with this episode. Patrick provides a wealth of information and specifics on how to help your clients seamlessly integrate DI benefits into their existing plans.
What You’ll Learn From this Episode:
- The market opportunity available with disability income.
- The difference between multi-life, group, GSI and individual plans.
- An expert perspective on whether an Individual or Group plan should be purchased first.
- Why it is important to understand the taxation of disability.
- Which items are generally not covered by Group DI.
Featured on the Show:
Listen to the Full Interview:
This Episode is Sponsored by:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes (here’s how)
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!