“Consumer” and “shopping” go together everywhere in our lives – except in healthcare. What would happen if consumers could easily shop for non-emergency surgery and get bundled pricing, all with the help of a concierge to guide them through the process?
That is the question that Dr. Sanjay Prasad, Founder and CEO at SurgiPrice discusses on this episode. We begin by discussing how the current system has trapped patients and employers and forced unnatural consumer behavior. A surge on himself, Dr. Prasad has designed a system that helps to correct this anomaly – at least, for non-emergency surgical needs.
He acknowledges that it might be difficult for patients to understand and assess the price and quality metrics and believes that a concierge can help. We also explore what happens when a consulting surgeon indicates that they feel a surgery might not be medically necessary, and how a patient’s primary care physician deals with that second opinion.
Finally, we explore the notion of bundled pricing and how much plans can save versus the itemization that has become the standard – until now.
What You’ll Learn From this Episode:
- Why bundling costs can have a lot of benefits.
- Why consumers haven’t been able to shop for non-emergency care.
- Why this is the perfect time to bring this pricing tool to consumers.
- How benefit advisers can add this option to their practice.
- If fully insured carriers are interested in bundling costs and consumer-driven surgery selection, or will be dismissing the concepts.
Featured on the Show:
Listen to the Full Interview:
This Episode is Sponsored by:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes (here’s how)
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!