On this episode of ShiftShapers, we’re pleased to welcome Meghan Dotter, Principal at Portico PR, back to the program to talk about some of the common mistakes people make when working on printed communications, websites, and presentations.
Meghan shares her advice on how we can make all of our communication more relevant, interesting, and actionable. We also discuss the role emotion and authenticity play in presentations and other forms of communication in our business.
You will learn how top presenters make their presentation deck an accessory that reinforces their core message and helps to tell an engaging story that sticks in the minds of their audiences.
We wrap up our conversation with Meghan’s tips for relieving nervousness during presentations and having a better focus on your content and engaging your audience.
What You’ll Learn From this Episode:
- Some of the most common mistakes people make when presenting.
- How emotion factors into a presentation.
- The best length for a presentation.
- What is your “presentation persona.”
- Why Meghan suggests to think of your story as a backpack.
- Why it is important to be “authentic.”
Featured on the Show:
- Ep #20: Building Presentations That Inspire Action – With Meghan Dotter
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- Daniel Kahneman’s TED talk: The riddle of experience vs. memory
- Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School by John Medina
Listen to the Full Interview:
This Episode is Sponsored by:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes (here’s how)
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!